During a Mail migration
You noticed that the size of the target mailbox is different from the size of the source mailbox. As data gets moved from one environment to another, size may change considerably. Cloudiway does not increase or decrease the size of the migrated content.
Differences between the source and destination
The change in size is due to differences between the Source and Destination environments.
There are several reasons why you can find a difference.
- The data can be compressed differently depending on the system.
- Some systems may store content using flat files, while another uses a rich SQL database.
- The content indexing may be different, one system may index all the structure while another might index only the subject.
- Formats of emails: your source and target email systems can keep the data in different formats (example, HTML or Plain text formats)
- Encoding of your emails: some of the communication protocols use a different encoding (for example, UTF-8 or ASCII).
- Ignored or duplicated emails. Please read more here about the reasons, why some emails are not migrated.
That said the final size of the mailbox can’t be used as an indicator of migration performance.
We invite you to check the Dashboard details to see the general statistics of your migration.
If you believe that there is any way a missing mail, please open a support request, indicating:
– the source email;
– the title of the missing email;
– its date and time.