This article explains what Teams migration does and how it works.
First, there is a discovery on the platform that discovers all the teams and groups.
Once the groups and teams are discovered, the Preprocessing task recreates all the Groups and Teams, creates the associated SharePoint sites, and migrates the memberships (Owners and Members of the group).
Once done, the migration task will recreate the channels, migrate the files of the channels, the planners, the conversations, and the associated mailbox.
Few tabs are migrated (planners, default wiki). Other ones are currently in the roadmap and this article will be regularly updated.
What is migrated
- Microsoft Teams (Office 365 Group)
- Teams Settings
- External Users Permissions
- O365 Group Emails
- Teams Conversations (no message metadata such as user or data/time stamp)
- Tabs (Conversations, Files, Planner, OneNotes, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, Website)
- Default Wikis.
PS: Only the following Teams Settings are migrated:
What is not migrated
- Channel settings
- Private Channels
- Personal chat. (Personal Chat is migrated with a Mail migration license).
- Reactions on conversation messages.
- Conversations attachments links (Pictures and files) are not migrated. The attached files will be migrated and will appear in the Files tab though.
- Non-default Wikis and Wiki tabs
- Images and attachments in default Wikis.
- Version history of files or items.
- Activity History
- Contacts. (Contacts are migrated with a Mail migration license)
- Favourited Teams or channels
- Call history
- Team profile settings (notifications, theme, status)
Each team and Office 365 Group is created with a Microsoft Planner. Retrieving statistics for Planner usage is not possible.
What is migrated?
Cloudiway migration tool will migrate Planner content including:
- Task Title
- Start date and end date
- Attachments (Links pointing to old SharePoint sites will not be translated)
What is not migrated?
- Task ‘created by’ and ‘Date’ metadata (Microsoft Graph API limitation)
- Task Comments (Microsoft Graph API limitation)
- Conversations ‘Sent from’ and ‘Date’ metadata (Microsoft Graph API limitation)
- Task Priority (Microsoft Graph API limitation)
This is what the conversations would look like:
Please beware that the chat messages are posted with a timestamp of the migration and will appear on the bottom of the message thread. Also, please note that if a message error out and you restart the migration, that message will be pushed during a delta pass and will appear again on the bottom of the thread. (This will cause a chronological disorder in the messages). This is Microsoft Graph API limitation.
This is what the Planner Tasks would look like:
Note that the title, labels, bucket, progress, start date, due date, description, checklist, attachments, assignees are all migrated. The Comments, Created By, and Completed By are not migrated (Graph API limitation).